Friday, May 21, 2010

Speechless

I am still stunned, amazed, and eternally grateful for the shows of support for me. Thank you. And keep the cards, letters, emails, phone calls, posts and smoke signals coming.

I missed a couple days correspondence when I hit a bad patch yesterday. I don't know if it was related to the liver problems or some other new, fresh hell. Whatever happened and why, I believe it was triggered by going off-diet on Wednesday night. I had been out doing some light shopping and prescription filling when I decided to hit a drive-through on the way home. Round about 3am it hit back. I had a massive pain in the gut that felt like the worst case of indigestion and heartburn I'd ever had combined. Maybe times ten. In any event, it took me plumb out of living until about 8pm. I was trying to relieve pressure from intake valve to evacuation port and any location in-between. Kinda makes me nervous about what I eat. And when and where. I promise to stay the strait and narrow now, though.

Speaking of eating, hope to see ya at the Rompin' Stompin' Bar B Q this Saturday (as in tomorrow) at Sam's parking lot off By Pass 6 Earl Rudder Freeway. Rumor has it that Butch from Maaco has 80 briskets to cook. Food will be available by the plate, by the pound and by the brisket. If you want a whole brisket, better reserve today. Cause the pit gets fired up tonight. Call Butch at Maaco 823-3008.

Right now the worst of my problems are the sores in my mouth and tongue. When the tongue gets irritated it makes it painful to talk. When it hurts to talk, it makes it unlikely for me to try. That's the main reason I haven't been back on the air yet. Nurse Caitlin from Baylor gave me a litre jug of saltwater and baking soda to clean and rinse to mouthal area. And now Nurse Kathy from the Cancer hospital has recommended a cocktail of Benadryl and Mylanta as a more effective rinse. I'm gonna try today.

No one has asked,really, but I'd like explain a little bit about my ailments and why Baylor Med Center is treating me instead of one of our many fine local Medical Establishments. The main reason is that we don't transplant here in the neighborhood. At least not livers. That is what I was first seeking treatment for (the liver was going way before the cancer was found). When I got the cancer diagnosis it was while on one of my bi-annual check-ups in Dallas. In order to get a new liver, they would have to shrink the tumors. So, as long as I was already up there and had a tab open anyway, that's where I got my Chemo. Round One. By the way I begin Round Two (basically the same treatment as before) on Monday June 14th.

I have been enjoying listening the The Devon O'Neal Morning show featuring Roger Garrett and the Spirit of Roy Gene in my convalescence. I hope I can pass the screening when I want to make my come back. You know, sometimes returning from IR, you find someone else has replaced you.

I was listening to AM Talk Radio the other night when I heard a promo for my BBQ Benefit and was near flabbergasted to hear the Bryan Broadcasting Stations are involved as well- WTAW, KZNE, KNDE. Not that we don't have a lot of history. Ben Downs was one of my first GMs when I arrived in 1979. And I've known most of his staff and crew for many years now. Sometimes, even working at the same facilities. Did I mention Ben is the only person who ever fired me (twice) that I still talk to? Then yesterday I was informed that Aggie96 wanted to promote the event as well. I am truly honored and humbled by the outpouring. I feel like I should be sicker than I am to deserve this response.

A couple closing notes: My son, Alex Munse, is working on another Benefit Show for next weekend at Revolutions Downtown. Give ya more details next time or you can contact him via his Facebook page. Individual cash donations can be made at The Bank and Trust.


Roy Gene

No comments:

Post a Comment